LABUAN (July 21, 2012): Labuan can boost of a halal distribution hub which will begin operations early next year and be on par with other halal centres in the Asian region.
Construction of phase one of the Kiamsam-based RM86 million project began in March 2009 and was nearing completion while the second phase would be implemented in stages and have numerous economic spin-offs especially to the small-and-medium entrepreneurs.
The hub, a collaborative initiative by Labuan Corporation, Marditech Corporation Sdn Bhd and the Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing, is managed by Labuan Halal Distribution Hub.
The Labuan Halal Distribution Hub once fully operational will be the centre of distribution for Malaysian halal products both for the domestic and international market.
Labuan Corporation Public Relations Officer Jah Murniwaty Markum told Bernama a comprehensive strategic plan has been put in place to ensure the hub was not left behind and would remain competitive.
The hub, sprawled over 40 hectares and mainly focused on the marine-based products, will house a warehouse complex, dry warehouse, cold room facilities and have in place a traceability system.
Jah Murniwaty said the global halal industry was worth RM300 billion and Malaysia assumed a significant role after having exported some RM35 billion worth of halal products last year.
“Our main exports markets for halal products are China, United States, Singapore, Netherlands and Japan, and Middle-East countries.
“With the right strategy and marketing promotion, we are confident the Labuan halal distribution hub would compete on an equal platform and leaf-frog the role of local SMEs into the limelight.”
The halal hub would assume an important role in determining that the quality of products adhere to high stringent standards to elevate Labuan to the global stage.
Leave a Reply
Scholars, Experts, Consultants, Specialists, Nutritionalist and Environmental Health Officer. » read more
- UK: Halal meat removed from Luton school menus
- UK: Leicester schools halal lamb burger contained pork
- Saudi to host biggest food, hotel and hospitality event
- Going high-tech to keep the world’s Muslims halal
- UK: Halal meat withdrawn from schools
- The Changing World of Food Traceability
- Pakistan: Halal market has $1.3tr export potential
- Australia: Claims of supplying non Halal chicken denied
- Pak-Brazil two-way trade needs to be expanded
- Brunei Darussalam: A new era for farming and food production