AUSTRALIAN meat should be labelled according to the slaughtering techniques, a Liberal senator has told parliament.
South Australian senator Corey Bernardi today told the Senate that many people had been appalled by footage of Australian cattle being processed at Indonesian slaughterhouses.
Some might have ethical problems with eating meat slaughtered according to religious rituals in Australia such as Halal or Kosher meat.
Senator Bernardi said he wanted labels on packaging to explain whether meat had been slaughtered according to rituals and whether stun guns were used.
“(Consumers) are not made aware of the method of killing,” he said.
Senator Bernardi said the unwitting consumer could potentially eat meat subjected to religious rituals without knowing.
He said he had spoken to church leaders about the idea and they had not objected.
He flagged preparing a bill to introduce meat slaughter labelling at federal level in the future.
It was about giving choice to consumers, Senator Bernardi said.
Scholars, Experts, Consultants, Specialists, Nutritionalist and Environmental Health Officer. » read more
- Better ways to help you
- EU: “The Islamization of Food” : A Demonstration of Fractures in French Society ?
- Losing Weight During Ramadan
- UK: IBB accredits The Islamic Pension Trust: a new Sharia compliant Automatic Enrolment Pension Scheme
- UK: Late Defra Change divides opinion on EU Stun Regulation
- UK: Ramadan fast can put Muslims with diabetes at risk
- Ramadan – Ready, Set, Go!
- Opinion: There are more important questions about meat we eat than whether it’s halal
- Opinion: Halal Hysteria: It’s About Muslims, NOT Animal Welfare
- UK: The British Veterinary Association’s desperate and incompetent attempts to undermine religious slaughter