CLAUSES NOTED: 1, 12
PUBLICATION: The Mail on Sunday
Mrs Ruksana Shain complained to the Press Complaints Commission that an article about Halal meat was inaccurate and misleading.
The complaint was resolved when the newspaper sent a private letter to the complainant acknowledging her concerns, and published the following letter:
The label may indicate halal but the slaughter is no different to mainstream slaughter where pre-stunning is used.
Where chicken is concerned, it is pre-stunned and machine-slaughtered – and the only difference is a prayer may be said over it. This is pretty much the same as non-halal meat. Some 90 per cent of halal meat in this country is produced in this way.
How do I know this? I am an environmental health officer. I have seen it for myself. I represent Muslim organisations at the Food Standards Agency.
Ruksana Shain, Founder of behalal.org (Email)
DATE PUBLISHED: 21/01/2011
CLAUSES NOTED: 1
PUBLICATION: Daily Mail
Mrs Ruksana Shain complained to the Press Complaints Commission that an article was misleading when it stated that animals slaughtered using halal methods “often die slowly and painfully”.
The complaint was resolved when the PCC negotiated the amendment of the online article to read:
“Some research suggests that animals can die a slow and painful death…”
DATE PUBLISHED: 24/02/2011
Scholars, Experts, Consultants, Specialists, Nutritionalist and Environmental Health Officer. » read more
- Better ways to help you
- EU: “The Islamization of Food” : A Demonstration of Fractures in French Society ?
- Losing Weight During Ramadan
- UK: IBB accredits The Islamic Pension Trust: a new Sharia compliant Automatic Enrolment Pension Scheme
- UK: Late Defra Change divides opinion on EU Stun Regulation
- UK: Ramadan fast can put Muslims with diabetes at risk
- Ramadan – Ready, Set, Go!
- Opinion: There are more important questions about meat we eat than whether it’s halal
- Opinion: Halal Hysteria: It’s About Muslims, NOT Animal Welfare
- UK: The British Veterinary Association’s desperate and incompetent attempts to undermine religious slaughter